In-heat wheat (Hefeweizen) By Flying Dog

The clove flavor that has been so prevalent in the wheat beer that I have beer sampling as of late is not so evident in this offering from flying dog. However, on the side of the bottle they give you a bunch of crap for thinking about adding a lemon wedge to the beer, which i have been known to do. WFT, the way that people drink beer their is as big a decision as their sexuality and one should never chastised for the lifestyle choices they make. I mean really, there are as many ways to drink beer as there are colors in the rainbow. But I digress, we are here to blog about beer. The beer is a hazy amber which one would expect to see from a wheat beer. However, in my opinion the beer in not hazy enough for me. Some hefeweizens looks like a pale pearl yellow where this is more golden than I care for. The overlying taste in this beer is of a slightly bitter hops which is not common of a wheat beer. The beer finishes fast in the mouth without any after taste or fullness in the mouth, it is overall refreshing but is in my eyes, only a standalone beer; the contradicting taste profile makes it hard to place it with any food. However, I find that most hefeweizens are best as just drinking beers, perhaps an after dinner beer, or a before dinner beer. Which ever you like, hell have one before and after dinner and with an alcohol content of 4.7% this is one you can afford to guzzle down when you are waiting around and not pay for it later. All in all the beer is ok, I feel that it would be best for a late summer early fall sipper, with friends down at a local bar with an outside seating area like the front porch pub on Gray St, good times, good times. Enjoy!!!!

No comments: